Have you ever thought that if you just knew the number to the radio station that you could win that special trip for two or even the tickets to Disneyland? Have you ever dreamed of winning the lottery?Well it turned out that I did just that! I broke down and purchased a round trip plane ticket from Ontario, CA to West Yellowstone, WY. The first leg of this trip went very smoothly. But the second leg turned out to be a very special ride on an Embraer 120 Brasilia. This plane has only two pilots and one flight attendant. It also has a max takeoff weight of 26,378 lb and a max landing weight of 25,740 lb. (I know, it makes you wonder what happens to the extra 638 pounds during the flight--watch out below!)
Now, I know what you are all thinking...how can it be considered a lottery ticket, when she paid for the flight. Anyone can do that! That is true, but not just anyone can get kicked off of a plane (twice) and still get paid for it. What was my trick? Ranting, raving and creating a commotion? No. Fighting or swearing? No. I believe it was because I was traveling by myself and choosing a seat at the front of the plane on the hottest day of the year in Utah.Here's what happened on Tuesday, Jun 17th before my flight was to depart at 4:50pm:
4:00p: Me, minding my business waiting for my connection flight to West Yellowstone. (Where is everyone else going?)
4:07p: Written and verbal request goes out to all passengers asking for volunteers (5) who would be willing to take a different flight. i.e. the next day or fly to a different city (Who wants to go to Boise?!?)
4:10p: One person volunteers. (I found this out later as I was not stalking the desk.)
4:12p: Another verbal request asking for volunteers. (I am on the phone with work and still don't hear any announcement.)
4:20p: Another verbal request asking for volunteers. (What was that?? Free what??)
4:25p: I decide against volunteering as my parents and two of my brothers are already at the cabin near Yellowstone waiting for my arrival. (No starting Yellowstone bingo without me!)
4:26p: Another verbal request asking for volunteers (come on someone!!)
4:30p: Airline worker requests for everyone on the flight to gather around. (A raffle??)
4:33p: Airline worker tells everyone that unless she gets 4 volunteers in the next few minutes she will have to have the computer 'randomly' select people who will not be allowed on the plane. (That can't be good!)
4:35p: The computer 'randomly' selects 4 people. An old woman, me (I was #2 and I knew it), and two Asian women who had not yet arrived.
4:36p: Everyone else is allowed to start boarding the airplane. (Why not pick a family of 4?)
4:37p: The two Asian women arrive and are very, very angry and confused at why they are not allowed to board the plane. (Aren't we all.)
4:46p: Old woman is allowed onto the plane. Two Asian women are even more angry and trying to explain over and over that they have a hotel and a car waiting. (Blah, blah, blah.)
4:47p: Another airline worker tries to explain that the computer 'randomly' selected people to be pulled, and that no one including the lady behind them (that was me), wanted to miss the flight.
4:50p: Word comes from somewhere that there is enough room and we can all make it! (Yippee!)4:55p: Pilot explains to everyone on the plane that the reason some people were originally pulled is because the outside temperature had increased more than originally anticipated, and it was not safe to take off or land. (Throw out the flight attendant and all the peanuts!)
4:57p: A baggage handler come onto the plane and tells the two Asian women that they have to get off as the plane is unable to take off due to weight/temperature. They are sorry. (Were they really...I thought they were very annoying.)
4:59p: Same baggage handler comes onto plane and pulls me off the plane for the same reasons. (I hear my name as she was coming up the stairs.)
5:10p: The plane is now able to take off without me and I am stuck behind the two Asian women who are complaining again. (sigh!)
5:30p: Compensation!! Free lodging at the Radisson Hotel, 3 free meals (to be used at hotel or airport), and $400 dollars to use on future flights! (Thanksgiving and Christmas are paid for!)6:30p: Me sitting in my lovely room at the Radisson with my coconut shrimp and salad.
Later: That evening Alissa and Shanell came up for a sleepover and a swim which was awesome! It made it a very enjoyable stopover even if I did get them the wrong room number initially, oops! Good thing no one else answered the door!
Next day: I was finally on my way to Yellowstone with some very lovely company (Dustin, Whitney and Cade) who joined me for the ride! You can bet I wasn't going to be caught traveling alone again!
7 comments:
Our prayers were answered that you got bumped. It was nice to have your help with little Cade on the flight. See, bad things happen to good people - and then those bad things turn into good things. Yeah, whatever.
that's a great story. even if you got bumped look at all the cool stuff that happened. I'm guessing the asian women didn't have such a cool experience as you though.
Wow, I never heard the minute by minute play by play. Nice to hear. And like Dustin said good things do come in sad situations. You now get to come home in November and December for free. Yeah
comment hijack. . . are you going to let Dustin win the cousin contest without any competition? He needs at least one competitor, methinks!
Yeah, you chicken?
Wow... what a day!!! I love the minute by minute.
Nice story -- just like we were there with you in the next seat. Did you hear that Shanell recently won some kind of a free ticket too? She'll have to tell that story.
Love, Mom and Dad
Post a Comment