I know this may be a shock to some of you, but nothing in life is 100% predictable. Sure, some things in life are
known like always being able to find a
McDonald's no matter where you go, but when you are dealing with people and your own expectations, you may or may not get what you think you will.

Take for example my trip to Milan Italy. I assumed that because I spoke Italian to Italians, they would respond to me in a like manner. Not always the case. Many times I was required to respond to them in Italian multiple times before they would stop trying to respond to me in English. This became a major annoyance of mine as I traveled in Italy.

I also assumed (subconsciously of course) that all things would look and be perfect when I arrived. Again I was wrong. For example, the
Duomo of Milan is one of the world's largest churches, being second in size within Italy only to Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome, and being the second largest Gothic cathedral in the world, after the Cathedral of Seville in Spain. Because of its history, size and placement in all the travel books, I was expecting a great view! Although books say it was completed in 19
th century they were sorely mistaken! I saw scaffolding all over the building (which was ugly) and I couldn't keep it all out of my pictures. *Sigh*

Speaking of not being predictable, as I was gawking over the amazing scaffolding, a procession of Egyptians (or what looked like them) walked by with who could only be considered a princess and her
entourage. As they made their gallant entrance, they made a less than gallant exit shortly thereafter as the police stormed in and took them to their office on the back side of the
Duomo (I know this because I followed from a safe distance). I don't know if anything bad happened to them, but it was an unexpected surprise.

Another surprise came outside the
Castello Sforzesco. For those of you who don't know, this is a castle in Milan that now houses several of the city's museum and art gallery collections. Since it was severely damaged in 1943 as a result of the allied bombardment, the castle itself was not as exciting as I had hoped. However, outside was another story. For one day only, they had set up a sand volleyball court in the middle of the
plaza where the Swatch-FIVB World Wide Tour came to play for the people. It was an awesome event!

I am sure you have all heard the saying "When life gives you lemons, find somebody you despise and squirt them in the eye," but I prefer "When life gives you lemons, make a pie and throw a party." I guess the Italians had the same idea!
5 comments:
You gotta love the quirky Italians! I'm itching to get back there, are you? Let's go on a mediterranean cruise next year and hit up the Italian coastline- what do you think?
I am so in!! You better not be playing with me! Lets do it!!
I can't believe how well you remember the places you visit, and I'm not sure why you aren't a full time travel agent or tour guide. I think it's your calling in life.
wow an entourage, I can't believe you followed, I wonder why they shouldn't have been there. Funny though, I noticed they had a fun gelato shop, good stuff.
MMMMMMMM...Gelato
Post a Comment