Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Southern California

OK, OK Dustin wins!!! Come on down...you will need to choose either the green door or the red door to claim your prize. Choose carefully, because you can't change doors and you don't get any hints! For the rest of you...keep on guessing!

So I have decided that since the last picture was of the Southern California fires and that is where I currently live, it only seems appropriate that I tell you five things that you may not know about me.
1 - I love my socks...this may even sound a bit more strange when you hear that the only kind of socks that I own are black Joe Boxer ankle socks with the white stripe across the toe and around the ankle. I originally bought these with the thought that they would be easy to identify as mine in the laundry (in the event that they became lost or stolen). However, since that glorious day, I have never looked back. Some day I may venture out there and find a nice pair of white socks that I like...but for now, they are all black.

2 - I do not like to be woken up when I am sleeping. Now let me clarify. If I have fallen asleep on the couch watching TV, I don't mind as much if I am woken up because I am not in a deep sleep. However, and this has been proven by others, I do NOT like to be woken up when I finally get that one morning where I have the opportunity to sleep in past 8:00. Now, this is not saying that I will ever be able to sleep in past that time, but that is not the point. So you had better beware - on the off chance that you do wake me up and I was actually sleeping...you had better run for cover!

3 - I am a creature of habit when it comes to ice cream. Forget your Baskin-Robbins 31 flavors or your Cold Stone Creamery with your 100+ add-ins. Just give me anything with Oreo cookies. Unfortunately, I have found that not all Oreo ice cream has been created equally. This is where I am perfectly happy to purchase Double Stuff Oreos and add them to my vanilla ice cream.
Warning: If any of you kids are going to try this at home, be sure to tell your parents that Double Stuff Oreos cannot be replaced with regular Oreos. If they try to pull this stunt on you ...call me quick!

4 - I have been sky diving in Canada. Now while this may not sound new to anyone, let me explain how it really worked. There are basically two ways to sky dive. The first way is called tandem, where an experienced instructor is strapped to your back. The second is considered the "Traditional" method (called Static line) and is where you are not attached to anyone and no one is holding on to you. While this is exciting, what you may not know is that you will be flying in a little prop plane along with an instructor, a pilot and two or three other people who are stupid enough to jump out of a moving vehicle. However, it is not as simple as opening the door and jumping out like you see in all the movies. You actually shimmy across the wing of the plane (using only your hands...no strings attached) until you are as far away from the body of the plane as possible. Then you arch your back, look up (easier said than done with two parachutes strapped to your back) and then let go. Yep, you just let go! Talk about being afraid for your life! I personally believe that the instructor is only along for the ride so that he can pry your fingers off the wing, as once you are out they will not let you back in. I actually was lucky and didn't have any trouble getting out on the wing (although it was very windy), but one girl who was in my group lost her grip as she was climbing out and almost smacked her head as she flew past the plane! Another girl had a very poor landing and broke her ankle in a couple of places!! Yikes!

5 - I have a major Disneyland ride feddish. I don't know where it came from, but as soon as I walk into the park, no matter how many times I have gone, I go into attack mode. I have a need to get on as many rides as possible, in the least amount of time. I know what you are thinking...you have a pass, just enjoy it and if you don't have time you can always come back another day. Not true in my head - each time I go I MUST ride on Space Mountain, Splash Mountain (rain or shine, day or night), Buzz Lightyear, Indian Jones (if it isn't broken down), and Jungle Cruise. I find that the best hour at the park is right when it opens on a rainy day, because no one realizes that most of the rides are inside so they don't come. I can run around to my hearts content, catch a show or two, and still keep my quota of a minimum of 3 rides an hour. Crazy you say?? Absolutely, but I still do it!!!

7 comments:

DB said...

Ok, I have a problem. Just seeing the picture holding on to the plane makes my hands and feet sweat profusely...and that's before I read it! I don't think there is anyway I'd ever ever ever want to do that. Crazy.

But at least I won. That makes me feel good!!

Whitney said...

I had no idea you'd been skydiving before! That has always been one of my dreams...until I saw that picture of you hanging by your fingernails thousands of feet above the ground. Perhaps I'll aim for deep sea diving instead. Props to you though- you're my new hero!!!

Whitney said...

And I'm so proud of you for finally writing 5 things we didn't know about you (well 4 anyway). Ideas for #5... your happiest memory, your favorite body function, your ideal mate, your pet peeves, the words you mispell time and time again, what you would do for a living if money were no issue, the most annoying noise you've ever heard...should I keep going?

Cali said...

What! You mean you got rid of all of your lovely tan nylons??? Weren't they the best option ever?

Seriously, though. What's so great about the socks? Are they comfy? Are they pricey? I'm in the market for new socks and need some tips.

I loved reading everything else! You are such a fun person! And remember, we are only here in Oregon until August, so a trip to see us before then would be so much fun! Just not next month--lets wait until after the new baby comes.

Sally Barrington said...

So.. I didn't know about your disney land fedish. but I'm not suprized! i bet yopu get all the fast passes you can. I have an idea that might help you next time. go to almost the front of the line and thank someone for saving your place. hop in line and don't look back. they'll be to confused to say anything. Waalla. you're in! Let me know how it goes.

wadsquad said...

All things I knew about you! But it is good to hear your version. I have always thought about jumping out of a plane but when hearing that you have to shimmy out of the plane holding on by your fingers, with the risk of letting go too early and being impaled by a part of the plane gives me the hebejeebees. I don't think I could do it, way too risky. Good for you though. I still don't understand the magic of Disneyland!

Krista said...

dude, I so remember you not liking the wake up call in the morning on the mission. who really does grumpy bear? I liked learning about you more and I think you are CRAZY for going skydiving but that makes you that much cooler.