Friday, February 8, 2008

Waverley Station in Edinburgh Scotland

Well sorry to say I will not be handing out any prizes this time...too bad it was a really good one. The picture was actually of Waverley railway station, which is the main railway station in Edinburgh Scotland. It is actually the second largest mainline railway station in the United Kingdom. If you look close you can see two Scottish flags in the distance. We flew into this gorgeous country on my favorite European airline, Ryan Air (seriously the best and cheapest - I paid about 10 US dollars for my flight).

We saw the Last Drop Tavern, where it is said that men who were sentenced to hang for such crimes as stealing a pair of boots or being a Protestant were taken to have their last meal while they prepared the gallows across the road. Just before leaving the tavern they were given one last whiskey. But no, I did not try it to see if it was any good.

The weather didn't exactly cooperate the entire time, but I don't mind a good rain every now and again especially when I have a hat and a jacket on (having curly hair helps).



We walked down the Royal Mile (which is a fancy name for a street in the old part of town) where we saw lots of shops and I rather enjoyed getting in the superman telephone booths (thank goodness I never saw anyone changing inside) and taking pictures of the bobby's (police) wandering around in the cold with no coats. OK so I always try to get pictures of the police in every country that I visit, but I do try to be careful that they don't see me, just in case they decided they don't want to be photographed and take my camera.

I really need to go back as the short time I was there really didn't allow my to see all of Scotland. Any suggestion on other places of interest that I need to visit?

11 comments:

Tyson said...

Hi Amy I have a new blog! I really like the picture of those sports guys!

BJC said...

brad loves ryan air as well...and i do have a new place for you to visit...wales! or north carolina...it's pretty exptic here too:)

DB said...

I love your stories after you finally tell us where the pic is. I'm so jealous that you've been to Scotland! Take me next time-

Anonymous said...

I totally won, but Amy won't acknowledge it. She cheats and won't let me post until the game is over.

Vinnie

Shanell said...

Wow you are really gifted in telling about your amazing journies! i loved this one. I have a great idea come to UTAH on your next trip. I'll make it worth your while!!!

Sally Barrington said...

Amy
you truly have a gift for blogging how you come up with the things on your page is new to me but due to continues pestering of others i have updated our blog with me personal touch check it out

DB said...

cricket? As in cell phone enthusiast?

wadsquad said...

I am interested if you have had any run-ins with the bobby's or police as you put it! Funny name! I have one request, I hate waiting so long to find out the answer so could you call me and tell me the answer before you post? (just between you and me, I may or may not put up the corrected answer after you tell me) He he. As for places to visit have you ever heard of PG,Ut? Check it out you will love it. I want to fly somewhere for $10. Any funny stories in Scotland?

Amy said...

Unfortunately I can't think of anything funny about Scotland except the part where we slept for 12 hours and almost got in trouble for not being out of our hostel in time-we skipped breakfast and were out in less then 5 minutes.

Cali said...

Hey Amy! I loved Scotland! I should have guessed. Anyway--if you make it back, I would recommend Inverness--I think that's the name. It's where the "Loch Ness" monster resides. Anyway--the hiking around there is fabulous and beautiful, and it's really fun to ride out on the lake and look for the Loch Ness monster.

Tyson said...

hay amy I love looking at you on your blog!!!!!!!!!!that's sweet that you were between those phone booth's I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!