Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hong Kong Harbor

Have you ever tried to obtain something that just always seems to be out of your reach? Do you remember the frustration you felt when you found out you missed this item by seconds? If only you had been there sooner, you would have got this item that always seems to evade you. Do you remember the thrill you felt when you finally found what you had been searching for? Well this was my experience in Hong Kong.

Most tourists in Hong Kong are shopping, gambling, eating or visiting ancient temples. From the first day, all I wanted was just one good picture of a traditional Chinese junk boat with all the sails up. Now before you start laughing too hard thinking of me running up and down Hong Kong harbor chasing a "junk boat," just know that it was actually a Chinese Sailing Vessel that does not collect actual junk.
Now over and over I would see this boat...sometimes the sails would be down, sometimes the boat was turned sideways, sometimes this boat only had one mast up, sometimes the sun was in the way or it was too dark, but most of the time it had just past and my zoom just couldn't go out far enough in order for me to take that one perfect shot.
And wouldn't you know it, after I had decided that all was lost and I would have to leave before I could get the perfect shot, I got it. As I was wandering around the Hong Kong walk of fame (which happens to be along the harbor) looking at the hand prints of Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, Jet Li, and many other people that I didn't even know existed but were obviously famous, there it was. Docked right next to an observation deck it sat waiting for me with its sails all set to go.

Now, I would like to say that I calmly walked up the observation deck, found the perfect angle, and then took my photo. However, I am sure if you would have been watching me, I probably looked like a crazy lunatic with a camera who was half walking, half running down the boardwalk hoping that the boat wouldn't leave before I got my perfect picture. But it was worth it!! The funny thing to note is that my Dad, who was on his way back from a meeting and on his way to meet me, had seen the boat as well and had diverted from his course just to take a picture for me. Of all the places to meet up in Hong Kong that is where he found me!

6 comments:

DB said...

Great so I was wrong, it wasn't Provo afterall--and I was so sure about that too. If there is not junk on a junk boat, what do they use it for?

wadsquad said...

That is a great story, and from the pictures I am glad you stuck it out to find your perfect picture. It is a very nice looking boat. I would have like to have seen you chasing after this parked boat. Ha Ha

Anonymous said...

This is so Amy. It doesn't matter where in the world she is, there must always be something to accomplish. Not even vacation is "free and easy." I bet she spent her nights plotting how to capture that picture.

Vinnie

DB said...

True dat, true dat-

Sally Barrington said...

Amy... those pictures are amazing! I bet it even looked more beautiful in real life if that's even possible.

Tyson said...

I like your picture