Saturday, June 27, 2009

Please Ignore the Weeds

So a little while ago, I talked about planting a garden. I was given some good advice and tailored it to what worked for area I had been given. Supplies were purchased and after a minor disagreement between Beth's pick and the sprinkler (the sprinkler won in the beginning, but after a few hours, Beth resolved that minor altercation).
Digging in the dirt found many, many, many more rocks than there should have been, but with some Miracle Grow soil and a few shovels, I think the ground turned out pretty good.
Next I placed out the plants and started digging some more. I did half seed and half plant to see which grew the best and also for experimental purposes.
A few weeks later, many different plants were shooting to wonderful heights (those peas are crazy!)
And today, I can report that many of the plants are doing well, while some of the others are not doing so hot. It did appear that some bugs were trying to move in, but I did find a remedy for that. Any other ideas?
We also had some grass issues, and I had a friend from work (who had just fixed up his yard) who offered me some sod to fill in the bad patches. A few strips of grass and some manual labor and viola!
And now the grass is growing and blending in very well! (I also fixed a few other patches in the back yard, but you can't tell where from these pictures - but it looks great!)
Around the same time the grass went in, I planted some strawberry plants that already have some berries showing:

And some other lovely plants (forgot what they are...iris?) surrounded by bark that complete the majority of the back yard makeover. Not too bad, even if I do say so myself! Now I need to find my next project!

4 comments:

Lily said...

Please remind me to call you the moment we actually own a yard and start a garden. Looks great!

Cali said...

Impressive! I never knew you had such a green thumb. I would love to have my own yard and the possibility of a garden. Someday...

DB said...

Bring home some produce!!

DB said...

update? Do you have vegetables or what lady.